A Chat with CMAT topper Sujit Kumar

A B.tech in electronics and telecommunications, Sujit left his 3 year old TCS job to prepare for MBA entrance exams. He topped CMAT 2012 and also converted NMIMS Mumbai to a final call.
Excerpts from an interview:--

1. Tell us something about yourself—your academic background, work experience etc.
I have done engineering in Electronics and Telecommunication from K J Somaiya College Mumbai. After that I was picked up by TCS during campus placements, which I left after three years in August, 2011 to prepare for MBA entrance exams.

2. What is your CMAT 2012 score?
My CMAT 2012 score is 322 and all India rank is 2.

3. Which college you are looking forward to convert into a final call?
I am looking forward to convert JBIMS and if not JBIMS then Narsee Monjee.

4. What were the other exams that you appeared for? Your score
I appeared for NMAT, CAT, XAT, CMAT, CET and SNAP. Though I didn’t get good score in CAT, I was shortlisted by XLRI, Narsee Monjee Mumbai, SP Jain and SCMHRD Pune, SIBM through XAT, NMAT, CAT and SNAP respectively. But was able to convert Narsee Monjee to a final call.

5. How would you compare CMAT’s difficulty level to other MBA entrance exams? 
I would say that the toughest paper this year was CET, considering the content of the paper. Competition wise CAT of course is the toughest paper. But content wise CET was the toughest. And then I would rate CAT and XAT at the same level. XAT had some tough questions but competition level was slightly less. After CAT, XAT, I would rate NMAT and then SNAP and finally CMAT.

6. CMAT 2012 was conducted for the first time. There must have been certain confusion regarding the format of the paper, difficulty level and level of competition. How did you cope up with that?
Actually when CAT results came I was a bit disappointed, so I thought that OK JBIMS is one of my choices and there is an all India quota for JBIMS for which you can apply through CMAT. So I filled CMAT form and started preparing for it but later on I got call from a number of colleges so I did not get time. but I did make efforts for general knowledge and for logical reasoning and because they were going to conduct it for the first time no one knew the kind of questions they will ask but we were thinking that most of the state level entrance exams have been trashed for CMAT this year and thus the difficulty level and kind of questions that will be asked would be similar to those state level exams. So my CET preparation helped me in following CMAT.

7. Do you have any clue about the range of score JBIMS is accepting through CMAT?
The procedure is like you have to apply for CET also. CET has its own process of GD/PI and in that all the aspirants who have applied for the exam are called. After the GD/ PI results are out a consolidated score of your written score as well as GD/ PI score are considered and then they see whether I am eligible for JBIMS or not.

This year they have allowed admission through CMAT only through all India quota but from next year CET would be scrapped and they would be considering only CMAT scores.

8. What was your preparation strategy for CMAT?
For CMAT I did not joined any classes, but for CET I had joined coaching classes which helped me in CMAT, because most of the questions that they had asked I had already faced in my mock tests.

9. Do you think that leaving job to prepare for MBA entrance exams is a good idea?
No, ideally people should try and get into some college while working. Everything has its pros and cons. I left my job because I was not able to concentrate both on my work as well as my preparation. In a way I was not able to do justice to my role in that company, although my performance has been exceptional in TCS, but I was not able to concentrate. But then in the interview and all I was asked why you left your job, you would have prepared while working. So I would suggest people that try to get into a b-school while working otherwise this can go against you in the interview. This was one of the reasons why I was rejected at XLRI.
Source-- Coolavenue

2 comments:

  • Shelly said...

    Thanks for sharing this like interesting conversation.. it's 100% motivated to us and like to go ahead by reading these like all article.. thanks

    MBA Entrance Exams

    Unknown said...

    Its really great blog...

    Avast Antivirus Technical Support Australia
    AVG Antivirus Support Australia
    Find Financial Advisers and Planners
    McAfee Antivirus Support Australia
    Norton Support Number Australia
    Trend Micro Technical Support in Australia
    Study in Australia

  • Post a Comment